This project involved the design and construction of a new modular timber frame extension to the existing island hall on St Agnes, which sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a designated Heritage Coast and Conservation Area. The original historical building, built in 1874, also backs on to the Browarth SSSI.
The aim of the new build extension was to create flexible workspaces for local businesses and the local community. The new facility consists of an entrance lobby, a multi-functional community space, storage areas, cloakroom and toilet facilities, a kitchen, plant room, six workspace areas and a mezzanine workspace area.
The existing hall was also refurbished to provide an improved, resilient, 21st Century hub for use by the community. The refurbishment works included the removal of the lean-to and porch, and the reinstatement of the windows in the east elevation. Part of the rear wall of the hall was removed to provide a wide access between the existing hall and new extension through a glazed link.
One of the Client’s main objectives was for the development to be sustainable in order to keep running costs low. This has been achieved by designing the building to BREEAM Excellent standards and through the incorporation of Passivhaus principles.
Sustainable features include underfloor heating, PV panels, LED light fittings, a rainwater harvesting system, and any surplus electricity generated can be stored locally or sold back to the grid.
The project received a Sustainable Cornwall Award in the Sustainable Built Environment category in 2014 and was shortlisted for ‘Eco Project of the Year’ in the Michelmores South West Property Awards.
St Agnes Island Hall and Reading Room
Isles of Scilly