This ECI contract involved the construction of a new footbridge across the River Wnion in Gwynedd, within Snowdonia National Park. The new 60 metre, two-span, steel lattice structure crosses the Wnion River in Dolgellau and includes two bankseat abutments with a central supporting pier. A 250 tonne crane was used to lift the bridge in place.
The new footbridge replaced the old Dr Williams' footbridge, which was installed before 1900, and improved in 1969, but was narrow with sharp ramps and turns.
The new bridge is twice the width of the original bridge which provides improved mobility access and will improve the use and the quality of the Mawddach trail footpath walk and cycle route for local residents and visitors. It also improves the link between Dolgellau and the Meirion Dwyfor college campus.
Initially Dawnus carried out ECI duties on this contract, which involved ground investigations, agreeing programmes and budgets with Gwynedd County Council and liaising with the bridge fabricator to facilitate the early procurement of materials. Upon price and programme agreement we started the subsequent stage of replacing the existing footbridge with a new, wider bridge.
Ancillary works included realigning the existing footpaths to suit the new bridge with associated drainage and lighting works.
Gwynedd County Council