This project involved the detailed design and construction of two replacement bridges on the A554 Tower Road, Birkenhead. Both the original bridges were constructed around 1931, and form a vital link in the Wirral strategic road network, facilitating access to the Port of Liverpool and major regeneration sites.
The existing steel truss opening bridge has been replaced with a new semi-through steel box girder single leaf rolling bascule bridge, and the existing fixed truss bridge has been replaced with a new prestressed-reinforced concrete composite flat deck bridge.
Other works included associated improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
The project has been delivered to a CEEQUAL rating of Very Good and designed to BIM Level 2.