The aim of this public realm project was to remodel the town centre’s Port Square, upgrade the harbour’s surrounding and significantly enhance the linking footpath. We sequenced our operations in each area to maximise productivity whilst minimising disruption to the general public and retail outlets.
We constructed Port Square in three separate phases. Harbour works were split into two sections and the linking footpath was constructed upon completion of an alternative route.
The works consisted of:
- Increasing pedestrian zones by laying over 1000m2 of sandstone paving bedded upon mortar bounded by 20,000 metres of granite conservation kerbing
- Laying over 1300m2 of exposed aggregate concrete footpaths to meet exacting tolerances.
- Planing and overlaying 1200m2 of existing carriageway, undertaking full depth construction to a further 300m2 of verge with 400m2 treated with high friction surface layer.
- Construction of a granite amphitheatre feature with bespoke hand railing together with a masonry clad precast concrete unit retaining wall.
- High specification street furniture, railings, lighting columns with associated feeder pillars, ducting and electrical works.
- Surface water drainage installation, hard and soft landscaping requirements.
- Installing a children’s play area
- Creation of an events arena
- Refurbishment of the public toilets
- Additional parking facilities
- Pick up/drop off point